Abuja-Kaduna road not deserted by motorists — DHQ




File Photo of The Coordinator, Defense Media Operations, Major General John Eneche. Photo Credit: DHQ.

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says recent media reports that motorists had abandoned the Abuja-Kaduna highway because of insecurity is misleading.

DHQ had on Saturday led journalists on tour of the road from Abuja to Kaduna to ascertain the validity of the claim.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that there was normal movement of various types of vehicles on the road from Zuba to Kaduna.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, said the tour was to enable the journalists have first hand information on the security situation on the road.

General Enenche said the tour was to also correct the purported desertion of the road and assure motorists of their safety.

Commenting, Maj.-Gen. Usman Mohammed, General Officer Commanding 1 Division, Nigerian Army, Kaduna, said that the troops of Operation Thunder Strike had continued to provide security on the highway.

Maj. General Mohammed, who also doubled as the Commander of the Defence Headquarters led Operation Thunder Strike, said that successes have been recorded in the fight against kidnapping in spite of the recent incident.

The GOC said the operation was organised into six sectors covering the entire stretch of the road from Zuba to Kaduna to carry out mobile patrol and respond to security threats on the road.

He said the troops also carry out clearance operations to identified hideouts of the criminals with minimal presence of the troops on the highway.

He said that the strategy was for the troops to go after the criminals in their enclaves so as not to allow them have any opportunity of coming out to the road in the first place.

Maj. General Mohammed said the military had put in place adequate measures to keep the road safe and free for traffic flow.

“After the last incidence, we have increased the number of troops on this road and we have added additional logistics so that people can be seeing their presence on the road”.

“We are going to also police the hot spots and I want to use this opportunity to reassure members of the public that we are doing our best”.

“Contrary to the report that the security were not on the road, we are doing our best to ensure that there is peace and security on the road,” he said.

Reacting, Mr Umar Jere, Chairman, Nigeria Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Jere Branch, said the security agencies had been doing their best to secure the road.

Mr. Jere said that his members had confidence in the ability of the military and other security agencies to keep the road safe and secure from criminals.

He called on the security agencies to sustain the tempo of their operation to deny the criminals any freedom of action.

(NAN)




Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*