Nigeria’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Ambassador Kabiru Bala said the commission is compiling a list of all Nigerian victims in the recent xenophobic attacks for support.
Bala made this known in a statement on Tuesday September 3rd.
He said all Nigerian victims of the current xenophobic attacks should report their situation to the High Commission and the Consulate.
“The High Commission of Nigeria in Pretoria views with concern the ongoing loss of lives, arson and looting of properties in some parts of Gauteng Province of South Africa,”
“The High Commission and the Consulate in Pretoria and Johannesburg are compiling a list of all the Nigerian victims of the current anarchy for engagement with the South African government and other stakeholders for succor. In this regard. all Nigerian victims of the current attacks are requested to come forward to report their situation to the High Commission and the Consulate.
“The two Missions will continue to be home to all Nigerians in this trying times and in the future. Since the outbreak of the attacks last week, the two Missions have remained open and continued to render normal services to Nigerians and other customers without hindrance,” he said.
He appealed to Nigerians to remain calm in order not to jeopardise the diplomatic channels to restore normalcy.
He said “We appeal to all Nigerians to remain calm and avoid any precipitate action that may jeopardise the arduous task of engaging the South African government through diplomatic channels to bring the situation under control and to restore normalcy”.
“The two Missions are currently working alongside all relevant authorities In South Africa including the police to address the unfortunate situation.
“Furthermore, concerted efforts are ongoing for the upcoming State Visit to South Africa by President Muhammadu Buharl which will substantially address at Summit level, all the existing concerns in the consular relations between the two countries.”