Xenophobic attacks: Lagos govt gives returnees N20,000 each




Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Wednesday gave N20,000 to each of the 315 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa as a result of the recent xenophobia attacks on foreigners.

Jermaine Sanwo-Olu who presented the token on behalf of the governor said that the money was a palliative measure for the returnees.

He added that returnees from Lagos State would be transferred to the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund, where they would be trained on skill acquisition.

The returnees arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at 7.21p.m aboard an Air Peace B777 aircraft a week after a batch of 187 Nigerians returned to the country .

According to NAN, one of the returnees, Chuks Okoma from Delta State, thanked God for sparing his life considering the ordeal faced by Nigerians in South Africa.

Okoma said that he had been in South Africa for six years without a job and sleeping on the street.

Another returnee, Michael Udoh, narrated how some foreigners were burnt in South Africa, adding that they were unable to move around.

Udoh, who had been in South Africa for six years, said that the country refused to renew his work permit after it expired, thus making him jobless.




Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*